Sunday, April 1, 2012

This weekend in poker, and the art of a good slow roll

This weekend, a poker playing friend offered to stake me at a good 1-1 hold em game.  I have had some tough financial times lately, (speeding ticket, new set of tires) so my poker bankroll was on empty.  I gladly accepted the 65/35 split, and told him he wouldn't regret it.

So anywho, its poker talk time.  I'll do my best to recall hands, because frankly, lots of alcohol was consumed previous to and during the game.  There are two hands that stick out for me.  One hand, my stack was sitting at around 400 or so when i pick up the ever powerful 10-8 off on the button.  A player in early position raises to 6, and I call on the button.  Heads up, the flop is J43 with two spades.  The raiser bets 11, and i double his raise, which I have been doing liberally all night.  The reason I raise here is this flop seems to have good texture to fire a continuation bet.  It comes back to the bettor and he raises an additional fifty.  I go ahead and ship, going with my initial read and take it down.

A few orbits later a certain loose player begins to get steamed.  He starts raising 4 or 5 times an orbit, and they are all for 10-15x the BB.  I tighten up, looking to pick up a big hand and make some cheddar.  And eventually I peek at KK in the blind.  LAG player raises to 15, and I make it 65.  He tanks, and I start the talking.  I talk during hands constantly, and obviously there is purpose behind it.  Anyways, I go into a shpeel about how it would be stupid to call, and how in this situation it's best to ship or lay it down.  Well, he ships for over 200 and I snap call.  The KK hold up against A10.  I eventually cash out for just under 900...  too bad i only get 35%!  Oh well at least I've built some cash to gamble with.

Stupidly, I go to the bars afterwards, proceed to consume far too much, and spend a decent portion of the profits.  I kept saying who wants shots, and before I knew it 50 bucks were gone.  I end up walking home (if you can call it that) and repeatedly fall, and now have the bruises to show for it.

More poker.  I decide to go play at the club and try to parlay my winnings.  I buy in for 160, build it up to around 175 or so when I pick up Q9d on the button.  Two limps, I raise to 11, and both players call.  Flop is KQ9 rainbow.  One check, second player bets 30, and I ship.  He calls and flips over K9.  Oh well.  Colin told me last night I should have just folded and let the bettor take the pot uncontested...  I don't agree.  I would like some feedback on this hand.

Later in the day, I play a tournament at somebody's house for 60 bucks, and some stupid shit goes on.  I'll get right to brass tax here.  15k starting stacks, at the 100-200 level my stack is around this point. A player who I thought was a cool dude raises the button to 600 and I call out of the BB with 10-9.  The flop comes Q high with two baby cards and we go check check.  Turn is another blank and again we go check check.  River is a ten and I bet 500.  He thinks for 20 seconds or so and says "I want to see what you have." and calls.  I flip my hand, and he sits there nodding his head.  I wait about 15-30 seconds and reach for the pot when he flips over K10.  Wow, I don't think I've ever been slow rolled at a home game like that, espescially by somebody considered to be a friend.  At the next level, 125-250, I look at 10-10 on the button with a stack of 10k.  3 limpers, I raise to 1250, and 3 callers.  Flop is 7s2c2s. Checks to me and I fire 3k.  EP player ships and I call.  He's got J10s and the turn comes another deuce.  All I need to fade is the jack, but the three outer hits and I'm out, steaming so hard I want to jump out of my seat.  I'll have my revenge on the slow roller because although he got the better of me here, he rarely takes a pot off me at a cash game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment