Thursday, April 12, 2012

Golfing and overplaying overpairs.

So here I am in mid April.  Last year at this point I had been out to golf maybe 5 times.  This year it's already been 30.

I'm playing pretty decent and consistent golf.  The ball striking seems to be right there.  I keep stats and I am averaging 9 greens and 9 fairways a round.  Granted, I've been playing Big Met, a generally straightforward (is that one word?) golf course. 

The problem has been putting.  I'm averaging 32 putts, and have had less than 30 only a few times.  The other day I had 36 putts and shot 80, which frankly, should have been 76.  The greens were aereated and I was playing for money, so every putt counted even if I was rolling through a hundred holes and many more grains of sand.

Let's get down to poker though.  I went to Hip Hop's omaha game and dropped 300 in typical fashion.  By that I mean being inexperienced at PLO and proving it to my opponents.

Then two days later the NL game at the same venue went down.  I started out hot, up 150 in the first hour or so. 

Opening day occured earlier in the day, and I enjoyed a multitude of alcoholic beverages, varying from beer to vodka and red bull.  I polished off the maker's mark and another few beers at the poker game.  Last time i won 700 doing this so why not tie one on and enjoy myself?

I look at queens in the Small blind with a stack of about 250, and after a limp or two my nemesis Colin raises to 6 on the button.  I say elevation and put out 25 in chips.  Colin, after telling me I 3 bet him too much, calls.  The flop comes 5 high with two clubs and I fire around 40 bucks.  Colin snap ships, and I pretty much snap call.  Can he really stack me with QQ twice in two weeks.  Basically, he did.  We ran it 3x, with me on the wrong end 2x.

Down to a little over 100, I claw my way back to 350 when I look down at you guessed it.  THE GABOR SISTERS, THE HILTON SISTERS, TWO LADIES!  Anyone get the Mike Sexton reference?  I'm on the button in a straddled pot with 3 limpers and I raise to 15 or something to that effect.  The UTG player calls and checks dark. 

The flop rolls out 8-3-2, and again I fire around 40.  He then snap ships and I go into the tank.  Wouldn't he smooth call with a set?  Could he have the insane 3-2?  Do I really want to fish off 175 with an overpair?  WTF???

I call, and immedietly look at AA.  I got the outplayed massively.

Stay tuned for a blog about an all night poker session.


2 comments:

  1. Ugh! Sounds like a few rough patches in what otherwise would have been an awesome night. Better luck next time!

    Patrick

    Http://poker.toddsville.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned that QQ isn't the nuts.

    ReplyDelete