Monday, April 30, 2012

All night poker, and getting wasted while playing omaha

Then I decided to play omaha, which was a big mistake.  Lost 300 in the first session.  Flopping sets with redraws which didn't mean anything because my opponent(s) always had the bigger draw and spiked it.  First session -300. 

Second session.  I decide to play omaha heavily under the unfluence.  I remember vaguely flopping two sets and losing.  -125.

Now I'm short on cash, and need some quick.  I sell my xbox and all games for 147.  Haven't touched it in a month, decided it was time to man up and stop playing games, literally. 

Short buy at 1-2 for 100.  The table was very deep, with a couple of very live players, so I decided to gamble it up and try to build a stack.  First orbit I peek at QQ, and after 4 or 5 limpers I make it 22.  I'm trying to exploit my LAG image.  One call.  Flop is KK2 and he checks.  I think if they have a king, I'm tipping my cap.  I bet big and they fold.  An orbit later, QQ again.  I raise to 15 after a few limps and get 3 callers.  Ace flops and action ensues.  I fold.

A couple orbits later, I pick up 99 in late position.  Early raise to 12 and 3 calls.  The game is pretty loose, so I deem this a good spot to put the squeeze on and make it 50 straight.  I started the hand with 110, so if somebody wants to call the 38 more, they probably will re ship, at least I think.  Nope, one call.  Flop is A82.  He insta ships and I have to fold.

Sure, maybe I should have shipped, but I'm playing out of my bankroll at this game. (Mistake)  I figure If I see a flop I like, I can go with it.  But instead of coming 10 or J high, it was A high, so no go.

A couple orbits later, I have A4 in the BB.  Three limps and I check.  Flop is AA4.  Checks around.  Turn K, checks around.  river 4.  There are also three hearts out.  I have to bet now, and I bet 5.  One call with 22.  See how much respect I get?

I pick up jacks another couple orbits later after limping twice and getting raised out with 910d and QJd, respectively.  I raise to 17 after some contemplation.  I was thinking of shipping, but open shipping for45BB seems crazy, even for me.  Two callers.  Flop is 963.  Time to get it in.  BB fires 35, and I only have a bit left.  I put it in.  He flips QQ and the turn is a Q.  G'night, Tommy!

The next day, I take a marker and play .50-.50 after a tournament.  The game starts as a HA mix.  I flop a set early in the omaha round with a hand like JJ-10-9 with a suit.  Get it in against the big draw.  Sound familiar?  This time I win, however.  My stack is around 90.

I'm playing pretty snug, and at this point we're at full ring.  I step out of line here though and get a little lucky to double up.  After a few limps, I make it 3.50 in the holdem round with 10-5 offsuit.  After folding a few orbits at full ring, I feel like putting the chips to work.  I'm on the button, and am called in a couple spots.  Flop is 10-7-8 and one player, who is treating the game as an opportunity to play every hand, and play them aggressively, bets 10 bucks.  I call.

I'm looking for a 2, 3, or 5, on the turn to continue.  The turn is a 3.  My opponent shipped dark for like 50 bucks!  I'm left with a big decision.  Go with my read, which is that he is on a draw trying to push me around.  I tank for a few minutes, and he asks if I want a window.  I say yes.  He shows me an 8, for second pair.  My instinct is he shows this card to induce a fold.  Sure it opens a lot possibilities for hands that crush me, so why would he show it.  He knows I like to make big calls, so maybe he is looking for a call. 

I eventually call, and to his dismay my 10-5 is better than his 9-8, at least at the moment.  It holds, and I've run my stack up to about 180 or so, which is where I cash out.  Not immedietly though.  I play for another couple hours, running the stack up to 220 at one point.


I switch to the all hold em table and win a few nice pots.  A player with a weird, unpredictable style raises up front to two, and is 3 bet to 7 by a deep stack, who seems to be intent on 3 betting this guy.  I call with 55, set mining.  The initial raiser then ships for 25 more.  The 3 bettor folds, unintentionally exposing A9.  Now that I've seen an ace, I ponder a call.  I do call, and the all  in player tables A5, which doesn't hit. 

He is unhappy I called, and I explain I think the exposed ace gave him less outs.  He exclaims "You would've have called either way."  Sure, bro.

My biggest leak is getting drunk and playing, my game really suffers.  I've had a couple huge sessions wasted, but I really need to stop.  A few beers is fine, but I can't fuck around with liquor while playing.  So if you see me wasted, I'll probably give away my stack.

No comments:

Post a Comment